Proper paver care in Reston, VA, ensures your paver patio, driveway, walkways, entryways and other outdoor surfaces age gracefully over their long lifespan. Natural stone pavers are virtually maintenance-free, and can actually improve with weathering over time. Depending on the materials you select, paver care for Reston, VA, landscape installations typically involves an annual cleaning followed by application of a sealant to protect the integrity of the structure.
The professional landscape construction experts at Dominion Hardscapes work with all types of paver materials, including porous brick and natural stone, stamped and colored concrete, poured concrete and manufactured interlocking paver systems. A licensed and insured design/build contractor specializing in the installation, repair and maintenance of exterior living spaces, they’ve designed and installed paver patios, walkways, driveways, and entryways for Northern Virginia homeowners since 1984.
The paver experts at Dominion Hardscapes offer the following tips for proper paver care in Reston, VA, to preserve the beautiful qualities of your paver surfaces and extend the life of your landscape investment.
- Before starting the paver care process, Reston, VA, residents should check the weather forecast and schedule the project during a dry period.
- Cleaning solutions are formulated for specific types of pavers. Check the label or consult with a professional to verify the cleaning agent is safe and effective for your paver care in Reston, VA.
- The right cleanser will remove common stains from tire skid marks, oil, grime, mold, moss, algae, rust, and grease.
- Uniform cleaning is best achieved if the entire paved surface is finished with a sealing agent.
- Sealants range from superficial films to those that penetrate, coat and strengthen the material.
- A properly applied sealant prolongs the lifespan of any outdoor surface and helps minimize damage from discoloration, fading, or efflorescence – the white, chalky residue deposited by naturally occurring minerals and salt.
- Prior to cleaning, sweep the surface thoroughly, remove grass and weeds from the paver joints, and test a small patch of your paver surface to make sure there are no adverse reactions.
- Using a power washer can cause unintended damage to certain pavers. It’s best to leave this job to a professional.
- The entire paver surface must be completely dry before applying a sealer. Allow 24 to 48 hours.
- Before sealer is applied refill joints between pavers with sand to discourage weed growth and maintain the continued stability of your surface.
- Paver care in Reston, VA, is especially important during snow removal. To remove snow and ice without damaging paver surfaces, use rubber edged snow shovels and plows or a snow blower.
For specific questions about paver care in Reston, Va, contact the knowledgeable experts at Dominion Hardscapes.